.... the sometimes seemingly senseless ramblings of a committed Christian with too much time on his hands.......


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Confused....

“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.” Luke 6:35

Once again, I am more than slightly confused. I have read and reread this passage of scripture hoping that a light would come on and it would make sense. I feel like someone has hidden my lamp under a bushel (memories of another great story) and as a result, I can't see. I wondered why I would be considered ungrateful and evil if I do the things asked of us at the beginning of the passage. Then it struck me. It is not us that are ungrateful and evil by helping others. Rather, it is the ungrateful and evil we are asked to help.

If we take on this challenge and keep it foremost in our minds each day, we will certainly make the world a better place, by our actions and by the effect it will have on others who see us acting this way. We will truly be living the second great commandment, that of loving our neighbour as ourselves, even if that neighbour is not “our kind of people”. God calls us to move closer to the people that we most want to move away from. Which way will you move?

No comments:

Post a Comment